Monday, January 14, 2013

Adding and Subtracting 10s Using Number 1-120

Well, I thought everything was going well in math.  On Friday nearly everyone could take a number from 1-119 and add one looking at the 120-chart.  So today I thought this will be a breeze having them add 10 to any number less than 110.  Yikes, put on the brakes!!!  This was not so easy a task.  I think because when you look at a 120-chart, adding 10 goes vertically down the chart.  When they write the answer, they are writing it horizontally on the paper.  So good thing I came up with these 2 new centers.  I just laminated them and will cut them out tonight for my kiddies to practice tomorrow.

Click here if you want to check out adding 10 to any number less than 110.

                                Click here if you want to check out subtracting 10 from any number less than 120.
If you have any other tricks, let me know but I think the Cupcake game might just do the trick.

2 comments:

  1. Don't feel bad. It happens to the best of us. My kids loved showing me they could count by 10's when they first came into my first grade classroom, but when I asked them to count from 10's but start at 30 they just stared at me. Then I asked if they could add 10 plus 10...nope.
    So, I took a step back, created some adding ten word problems they could relate to and now they understand adding 10 to a number and counting by 10's are the same thing. They get it with practice and maturity. It's all the time in between that's so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi! How funny that you have a coworker with the same last name as me -- such a surprise because I feel like it's kind of a unique name. But, my husband has a few relatives in FL, so you never know :) Glad you found me! Love the cupcake idea, by the way!

    ReplyDelete