I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Ms. Hamm from
Ms. Hamm's First Grade Funland has nominated me for the Liebster Award. The Liebster Award is given to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. So, what is a Liebster? The meaning: Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome. Isn't that sweet? Blogging is about building a community and it's a great way to connect with other bloggers and help spread the word about newer bloggers/blogs. I am so happy to be a part of this community.
So here are the rules (we all know we must follow them )
1. Link back to the blog that nominated me.
2. Answer the questions posted for me by my nominator.
3. Share 11 random facts about myself.
4. Create 11 questions for my nominees.
5. Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers.
6. Contact my nominees to let them know that I nominated them.
Here are the 11 Questions that Ms. Hamm asked me:
1. What type of behavior management do you use in your classroom?
I use the Punch Card system. Each week every student gets a Punch Card ( a 5x8 index card) and writes their name on it. When the student makes good choices or answers questions correctly, he/she receives a punch (a star hole punch). If the child says please or thank you they are awarded another punch. When a child misbehaves and has been warned to stop that behavior, they receive an X on the card. On Friday, the children with the most punches and no Xs visit the Treasure Box. The card is sent home to be signed. When the child returns the card signed, he/she receive 10 extra punches on their new weekly card. If a child gets 4Xs, they are not allowed to participate in Show & Tell. That is a big deal for them and rarely do students get 4 Xs. Our First grade has used this system for years and it works. The parents get a weekly update on their child's behavior and it is great documentation for Child Study Team.
2. How do you get parents involved?
Parents get updates from the Punch Cards and they sign assessments and return them so they are aware of what is going on with their child's progress. During curriculum night, I go over how they can help their child at home and I send home a packet of directions. I conference with all of my parents at least once a Trimester. When we do special events, (pumpkin carving, involved science experiments etc.) I send home an invitation to come in and help. Usually the same parents volunteer.
3. What your favorite sweet treat?
I have so many of them, that has caused a serious diet and exercise plan this summer. For a school pick-me-up I love a snack mix with M&Ms and something salty. (bad) For a special occasion I like chocolate cake with chocolate frosting or carrot cake. (very bad) But the best has to be the Hummingbird cake with cream cheese frosting that my step-daughter has made me for several birthdays. It's to die for! (extremely bad) LOL
4. If you were stuck on a deserted island, what are your 4 MUST HAVES?
I am spoiled so that only 4 must haves wouldn't do it for me. But if you insist and I can't include my family I would have to have a murder mystery book, that M&M and something salty mix, a giant container of Ice Tea (unsweetened) and my iPhone with my music.
5. What’s one thing you created or want to create to use/display in your classroom this year?
My classroom theme is Froggy Everything. I created a 120 chart with a cute froggy in the background poster which a friend laminated for me since it was so big. I also made a smaller version for each student to have on their desk.
6. How do you infuse technology into your teaching?
I have an iPad and the school lets me check out another one. They are full of great apps for kids. My favorite is the Dr. Seuss stories. My kiddies will watch them over and over. They have sound effects and highlight each word as it is read to them. They also allow the student to read them to themselves.
I have a doc camera which I use much of the day. We use digital cameras to document our work and display the pics. I also just found the old cassette players new on Amazon. I have a ton of books with story tapes from Scholastic and now with 5 players I have a very cool center.
7. What is your favorite sport?
I like watching football if the Packers are playing. Go Cheese Heads! I really enjoy biking. I try to put 20 miles on my bike a day during the summers. Once school starts however, the time for biking falls to the wayside and usually I only get time to bike on the weekends.
8. If you could take a trip to any place in the world where would you go? Why?
I would love to go to Italy. I have never been and it looks so romantic from the movies and pictures that I have seen.
9. What is your favorite hobby when not teaching?
I love making fun learning games. My mind is constantly thinking of new things to make. I think it might almost be an illness?? LOL
10. What is your favorite quote?
"A Teacher Takes a Small Hand, Opens a Mind and Touches a Heart"
11. What is your teaching philosophy?
FUN! I try to make all the learning experiences in my room fun and exciting. I love seeing them get excited to learn.
11 Interesting Facts About Me
1. I am married to the most amazing husband ever!
2. I am obsessed with Pandora charms.
3. I have the sweetest step-daughters ever.
4. I am the oldest of 4 children.
5. I used to be an insurance agent.
6. I had several torn tendons in my ankle which caused me to teach from a Knee walker or wheelchair on and off for 3 years. (I have now been walking on 2 feet for the last 2 years!)
7. I have had every color cast that they make and had to resort to a two color cast for one of my last ones.
8. I can re-purpose any used container into something wonderful.
9. I began college wanting to be a Pediatrician.
10. This is my 30th year teaching and I still am passionate about it.
11. My best friend is my sister Jodi.
11 Questions for my Nominees
1. If you couldn't be a teacher, what would you be instead?
2. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
3. What do you have planned for your kiddies to do first thing in the morning?
4. Who is your favorite author?
5. Which subject is your favorite to teach and why?
6. What is your favorite sweet treat?
7. If you were given 12 different colored sponges, what would you do or make with them?
8. Tell me about the most wonderful thing that has happened in your classroom.
9. Would you encourage someone to go into teacher? Why or why not?
10. If you were on a deserted island, what would be your 4 must haves?
11. How many years have you been teaching?
My nominees for the Liebster Award are:
Carrie from The First Grade Derby
Haley from My Silly Firsties
Kaitlyn from Wicked Fun In First Grade
Lindsay from First Grade With A Twist
Congratulations Ladies and I can't wait to hear all about you! Please link your Liebster post back to me.